Friday, June 10, 2011

High Tide

Lovely day.

Woke up with a parental lecture, called five employment agencies to get appointments on Monday, moved the sprinklers around the front yard getting wet, went to the grocery store (that was the highlight of today, since I rolled down the windows and yelled "FREEDOMMMMMM" really loud), and practiced.

 I also talked to the manager of Food Lion, which didn't do anything since she just said they had no job openings and everything is online anyway.

I did get my case today though! :D

And now I am doing laundry.

This is going to be the longest summer of my life.



I like clouds.

So the 2011 hurricane season officially started, something a life-time southern living east coaster like me has always been aware of and affected by. I have been through a lot of storms, some small and forgettable, like ..... I don't remember. And some huge and devastating, like Andrew when I lived in Miami and Floyd in North Carolina. Floyd put a good amount of eastern NC and my town underwater, cancelling school for two weeks and making my family live with my grandma in western NC since the power plate was under water and there was no electricity. The best was when we got back; there was still no power, so we went and bought a big ass generator, and the lights turned backed on while we were holding up the flashlights reading the instructions. Best timing moment ever.

But on a serious note, it really devastated an already largely underdeveloped and rural area, and a lot of people were homeless; there was more than 20 new students in my school from displacement because they lost their homes.

Eastern NC, completely flooded in many areas.


 Tar River Estates, across the street from where I use to live, couple blocks from campus.


At its strongest, Floyd was a category 4, but was weakened to a 2 when it hit NC. The issue was the ground and rivers were already over-saturated due to Hurricane Dennis that had recently hit, so the torrential rainfall caused every river basin to flood, putting eastern NC underwater. 




Andrew (which I apparently predicted was coming a week before the storm changed its track to south FL) was the worst, but I slept through it so I don't even remember it (apparently it was ridiculously loud, like a freight train for hours and my family was astonished I didn't wake up). But when I went outside, everything was a mess. Thankfully the eye didn't come through Miami, but of course it went to Homestead and completely flattened everything, including the people from Miami who went to Homestead thinking the eye was passing north and of course it went south, specifically Biscayne Bay and coming on land near Homestead Air Force Base (where Leo was born) and completely destroyed it. My family left south FL because there was no power, lots of destruction and went to my grandmas. I guess that was a trend I'm just realizing. My mom also opened the back door during the storm freaking my family out and my hamster died shortly after the storm; we think it was due to psychological trauma from the storm because it acted weird afterwards.

Miami neighborhood, completely gone.


Andrew, category 5.
I feel that because I have been through so many storms, I have become desensitized to them a bit. Of course I am smart and can do some serious boarding of windows (by the way, how the water front beach house in NC is still up is completely astonishing), but tornadoes scare me way more. Hurricanes to some degree are predictable, but then again hurricanes usually cause many tornadoes so I guess my point doesn't make a lot of sense. The winds are terrifying, especially in stronger storms because they are deafeningly loud. And the storm surge can be terrible. I just hope a huge storm doesn't come this way, I really like my house. Good thing its up on stilts.

The eye is a really strange experience. I've only been in it once and it really was eerie. After the strong winds, hard rain and hail, then its completely quiet. I went outside and it was like the most perfect day, sun shining bright and no clouds. The only thing that gives it away is the next cloud wall coming that you can see, and the wet ground and debris. The air feels different too, and is warmer in temperature.

Here is what the NOAA says about the 2011 storm season.



NOAA said in mid-May that there is a 70 percent chance of the following:
-          12-18 Named Storms
-          6-10 Hurricanes
-          3-6 Major Hurricanes

I guess we'll just have to see. 
As long as it isn't this hurricane, or typhoon, a category 5 super hurricane named Tip that was the largest and more intense on record. 
The storm, if in the Atlantic, would have covered half the nation. 
That is seriously scary. 

No comments: